Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finding A Good Vet!, Searching for a vet
ChrissyW
post Nov 12 2004, 03:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 354

Hi everyone,
I am glad there is a part of this site for something a little lighter than what we all here have been going through!!! I need some help in finding out how to locate a good vet. The last two vets I am not sure about. I don't know if I should stay with the vet that diagnosed my last dog, Max, who I had to give up or start the search again. I am very confused. It has been a good time with my new adoptee but sad to have to give up Max. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to research vets? I would really appreciate it!!!
Thanks to everyone here you are great!!!
ChrissyW

--------------------
Indiana "Indy" Jones
April 1990 - May 2004

My Boo Bear I miss you greatly and you will never, ever be forgotten!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ann H
post Nov 14 2004, 04:27 AM
Post #2

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 538

I am so sorry about your Max. I don't know how you would find out who would be the best vet. I drive 80 miles to go to my vet. My sister went there and the vet is kind, tender, and gentle to my babies. We just lost my sons 10 year old chihuahua and our vet kissed her head and hugged her before he gave her the shot. That made me feel a little better that someone with a kind heart took care of her. He takes care of my Snookie too and it is well worth the long drive.
Ann

--------------------

My girls went to the Rainbow Bridge 6 weeks and 3 days apart.
Snookie had cushing's disease, and later developed diabetes. Both had cancer, Snookie had cancer of the liver, and Chili Bean had cancer of the pallet. Chili Bean was our son's chihuahua but we kept her often throughout her life and she stayed with us for the last 9 months of her life. Chili Bean also had asthma and heart failure. We will see you in Heaven my precious darlings.

Snookie Lynn Howard
2-04-94 - 12-26-04

Senorita Chili Bean Bubbles Howard
11-05-94 - 11-11-04

+Quote Post
Muffins
post Nov 21 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 245

Hi there:

First, please contact www.avma.org

That's the American Veterinary Medical Association............Just like the "American Medical Association".......

Ben and I did have big trouble trying to find a wonderful vet for our newest furkids.................
"Ms. Lucy wub.gif and Mr. Yoster" wub.gif .........

Believe it or not..........we adopted them exactly ONE MONTH after our sweet Ernestine went to Rainbow's Bridge.....

I swore up and down..........left and right.............."NO MORE FURKIDS...........EVER, EVER, BEN...........I DON'T WANT ANY.. I CAN'T LOOK AT THEM...................I CAN'T LOVE AGAIN.....ONLY TO LOSE THEM............."

But.........a miracle happened everyone.....and "MY HEART GOT SOOOOOOOOOOO HUNGRY AGAIN FOR A NEW
FURKITTY".....
Really.............the silence in this house was deafening...... sad.gif
My heart (Ben and my hearts were BROKEN).......WAS BROKEN...............but, our hearts, because of our sweet Ernie-Bird had grown SOOOOOOOOOOO BIG...............
We needed furkitties----And, two beautiful furkids found their way to us..........

I will always say that our sweet Ernie-Bird HAD HER PAW IN IT!!!!!!!!!!

Both Ben and I had had kitties all of our lives, and though our sweet Ernestine had gone to Heaven.....
THERE WAS SOMETHING HUGE MISSING.......

On March 6, 2004........we decided to go to a shelter for furcats...........(of course, we took two carry-alls, "just in
case" wink.gif )

Long story short.................
On the way home.............the carry-alls that were empty on the one hour drive to the Shelter, were now "occupied" on the way home..............

In one carry-all held, Yoda (who we called Yo-Yo Ma----or, more lovingly, Mr. Yoster)...............and, in the other....
One of Yoda's "old" housemates, Ms. Lucy .....
There were six furcats living in one house.....

THEY WERE ALL ABUSED...........SADLY TO SAY!!!!!!!!

But, after bringing our sweet Ms. Lucy to Ernestine's old vet................
I just was not happy..........
He had treated Ernestine well, (she had NEVER, EVER LEFT MY SIGHT!!!) but..............he just wasn't going to do!!!

*******He suggested that "to deter Ms. Lucy from nibbling on electrical cords"................to SPRAY THEM WITH THAT
DEODORANT SPRAY............"RIGHT GUARD"..............

Well.........I did that one day........and our sweet girl was poisoned........
I WAS LIVID!!!!!!

After calling the ASPCA Animal poison Control Center..........(and, I have posted the phone # on this forum)....., and after seeing OUR NEW VET.............Ms. Lucy did okay..........
But, I'll tell you............that guy deserved a good one minute spray up his nose.....
(Just remembering, and VENTING............that's all!!!)

I must say that after we had our sweet Ernestine put to sleep, in February, 2004......
We did not receive a "condolence card" from the vet & staff.... NOTHING........ No tuft of hair, no lil' paw print!!!!

(Hmmm....doing the math, in the VERY LEAST.....A CONDOLENCE CARD might've cost a total of 50 cents (postage included))...... If that!!!???

After becoming "a member" here at LS.......I found that receiving a lil' condolence card........just saying that "your sweet
Ernestine "meant something to us"........
It must've been TOO MUCH FOR THESE PEOPLE TO DO.....

I guess after having worked in the human medical field for over 20 years...........I got downright MAD!!!!!!! It shouldn't have been "too much to do!!!"

So, we had our records changed to "A FELINE ONLY PRACTICE", that.........on the phone.......I was told that all of the doctor's were 'BOARD CERTIFIED'.............

We had one visit with this female doctor.............she seemed just fine.............
Said Ms. Lucy had mega-colon................and, also Asthma (as seen in x-ray......also by the symptoms we shared with her).

So, Lucy was put on steroids, orally..................

Ms. Lucy just wasn't getting well...............

Hundreds of dollars later............ (Oh, none of these vet's were BOARD CERTIFIED, EITHER......)
We brought my mom's kitty to the groomer (he's a Norweigan Forest Cat), to be shaved............and, the owner there
shared the name of her vet...... She had brought her four cats and one dog there for about 15 years, and was happy
as could be!!!!

I thought.........."We'll try that place"...... That referral did come from a very, very reliable source!!!!

THAT WAS MONTHS AGO...............AND, WITH Dr. ______________, we have stayed.............

He LOVES OUR GIRL.......... (Knock wood, Mr. Yoster hasn't gone yet).........But, he pats her, and spends 45 minutes with
us.........
No one has ever spent that time with us before!!!!! biggrin.gif

#1: Ms. Lucy DOES NOT HAVE mega-colon........
That's a serious mis-diagnosis.......... The "feline-only" (not board certified vet), had her #10
scalpel out........ Thank God we changed vets before "the surgery date".....

#2: Ms. Lucy DOES HAVE DIABETES.............
This vet wanted to KEEP HER OFF ALL ORAL STEROIDS FOR A GOOD AMOUNT OF TIME..................TO MAKE
SURE THAT THE ORAL STEROIDS WEREN'T RESPONSIBLE FOR FALSELY RAISING HER BLOOD GLUCOSE LEVELS.....

#3: Lucy was put on an INHALOR (with an Aero-Kat).............The same inhalor (Flovent), that is used for humans,
and the "Aero-Kat" is like a "spacer", that is used for kids...............
When as asthmatic medicine is given systemically...........it will not raise her blood glucose...........

#4: After seeing that Lucy's blood glucose levels were still in the high 400's down to high 300's, it was determined
that Lucy need to be on insulin.....

Just to let everyone know..............WE LOVE OUR NEW VETERINARIAN. wub.gif

No, he doesn't just "deal with felines", although, that's his favorite part of veterinary medicine.......
And, it's comforting to know that he has a diabetic kitty at home, that he loves with all of his heart!!!!!

It is still taking sometime to get Ms. Lucy "regulated"...............and, that's for many reasons...... She has always
been A GRAZER ON FOOD..............ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!
We need to work with "her diet" a bit!!!!!!

But, I'm sure that we'll "figure out her insulin units in the near future"... (I hope)...

*********First thing Chrissy, try and do some research on www.avma.org.

I haven't looked into it, just yet (but, I will)............
I did look up that site for you...........I was sure that just as we have the "AMA" (American Medical
Society), that there must be something for veterinary care........

And, often times, getting a personal referral is the best.......

I wish you the best of luck, and if I could be of any more help, please do not hesitate to ask....
Perhaps our wonderful vet does know a colleague in YOUR AREA....
(THAT HAPPENS.....).....
If you'd like..........please PM/e-mail me...........let me know where you live, and when we see him on 12/2, I will
ask if he knows anyone in your area...............
(I will call him before, if you want to know before that date....)

God Bless You, Ann...........driving 80 miles to a wonderful vet........... YEP, IT IS WORTH IT!!!!
We would do it for ourselves, right??????

Now I know that when it snows like "heck" out here, and the roads are slippery..............that our short 9 mile drive
is CERTAINLY WORTH IT............EVEN THOUGH IT MAY TAKE 90 MINUTES......

Love you always, you guys........My friends,

Love, Denise xo

--------------------
Our Beloved Girl, Ernestine (AKA) "Ernie-Bird"
April, 1984 - February 7, 2004
***AFFA***
Forever, you will ALWAYS live on in our hearts!
DEPARTED FROM EARTH, NEVER FORGOTTEN.... Love, Mom & Dad xoxoxoxoxo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Immanuel Kant

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight" Albert Schweitzer

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:36 AM