Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies
> Caroline Just Died From Seizures, caroline just died from seizures
heatherj
post Nov 6 2008, 06:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 5,225

My dog, Caroline died this past tuesday morning from having over 20 grand mal seizures in an hour then falling into an almost coma-like state that I thought she might come out of. She did not and died an hour later in mine and my boyfriend's arms.
Caroline was almost three years old and was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy a year and a half ago. She had been taking 4 phenobarbitol a day and I would give her a dose of valium if she had a cluster of seizures. She would always come around after a few hours or a day and be her happy, beautiful self. All of my vets told me that dogs don't die from seizures and that Caroline could easily live a long life with medication and love. I gave her more love than I have ever given anything and that was not enough.
I would like to talk with anyone who has had a dog die from epilepsy.
I need to connect with someone else to heal this pain.
I live in Portland, Oregon and bought Caroline from a blue heeler breeder in Eola Hills when she was 8 weeks old. Her birth date, with her litter is 12/17/05.
I want to find this breeder again and let them know about this tragedy.
If anyone has any information they can give me about where to locate these people, I would greatly appreciate it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
ann
post Nov 7 2008, 01:24 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,838

I'm so sorry to hear about your Caroline..I hope you find the support you need to get thru this difficult time..Ann

+Quote Post
Pax's Mom
post Nov 7 2008, 03:59 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,956

Heather,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know you must feel devastated. You did as much as you could for Caroline don't beat yourself up over something you ultimately have no control over. It is important that you remember no matter how much we love, how much we do, or know it will not prevent the inevitable. Unfortunately for some of our relationships with our fur children this could be a day or 20 years, and it being "fair" is a place where you will always meet unrest. Caroline brought you love and it is important that you hold onto this and not let the negative thoughts/feelings win, it does you nor Caroline any good.

As for the breeder, eGad, I'm sorry you had this experience. My babies also came from a breeder but she is absolutely amazing! I was going through a very bad financial period and my kids needed major dental work which I could not afford and I thought I would have to give them up and I called her to hopefully help place them but instead she paid (a lot of money) for their medical needs.

I wish I could help you find this person because they were not a reputable breeder. If in the future you're thinking about acquiring another dog/cat know:
  • any reputable breeder will interview you to see if you can provide a proper home, some may even grill you as you should them;
  • you should be able to go to the place where the animal resides this should be the breeders house and it should be clean;
  • the animals should be raised under foot (around people and other dogs/cats);
  • a health certificate should be produced if you request it (some will give you one automatically);
  • most breeders will not release an animal to it's new owner until the dog/cat is around 12/16 weeks;
  • puppies and kittens should have seen a vet and had their first shots;
  • some breeders will have the animals tested for illnesses that may be common to the breed;
  • ask to see the pedigree (they should offer you this regardless);
  • it should be evident that they care about who they are giving their animals to, this should ring loud and clear in the interview;
  • they should want to stay in touch and exchange contact info.

Things to look out for:
  • A short interview (this is someone out for the money, run away fast);
  • Someone that will not let you into their house (you need to see the conditions under which the animals are being cared for);
  • If all the dogs or the breeding stock is kept outside and separate from the other animals;
  • They should "not" be locked in a cage;
  • They should not be isolated;
  • They should not be in a dirty/filthy environment

All reputable breeders care about their animals, and the really good ones, as if they were their children. I signed a contract for my babies. Any reputable breeder will at anytime during that animals life take them back if you can not care for them. Stay far away from anyone who will not do this and who will not fulfill any of the items in the first bulleted list as these are very standard procedures.

If you are able to contact the person who sold you this puppy they should offer some kind of financial compensation to you. Please understand that I am not saying this because I think it will ease your heartache (it has nothing to do with that) but a reputable breeder, if for some unknown reason, did not know of this condition would be appalled, feel some kind of disgrace and would want to help.

Caroline loves you and although she is not in her earth suit anymore she watches over you. There are many here who will offer wise words of wisdom as we all share the pain of the loss of our dearest friends.

You and Caroline are in my thoughts.
Big Hug,
cheryl

--------------------

Pax: 7/11/93 - 7/11/08. The best gift in the world!

+Quote Post
Flossie's Mom
post Nov 7 2008, 02:20 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,211

Heather,

I am so sorry to hear about your Caroline. And what a difficult time both of you had at the end.

My Flossie was over 17 when she had her first seizure & I was a basket case. I'd never seen one and just knew she was dying. She had 3 more and I was more settled about how to handle them by the last one. I read up on them & talked to her long time vet when it first happened. Since she was old & had other medical issues he said to just monitor them as testing to see the cause would have been difficult for her. They came about once a month except one that was only about 2 weeks after the previous one.

My vet DID tell me that if she had several in a row she could die.

You did all you could for her and as painful as it was, you were with her at the end. She knows that. It is important for our faithful companions and important for you to remember. They are so loyal to us and know when we do our best. She felt your caring, loving arms.

May memories of her and the good times together comfort you as you go through this difficult grieving process.

Ginger

+Quote Post
LoveThem
post Nov 7 2008, 03:03 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,876

Heather,

I am so sorry to hear about your baby. You mentioned she was only 3 years old and that vets said she could not die from seizures. All I can relate to that is my story of a sweet girl, part shepherd and part boxer...I called Duchess. I got her at 6 months old as she needed a home. When she was about 2 or 3 years old, she started having seizures, which is something I never saw before. But I took her to the vet who did a brain scan and said he felt she had epilepsy. She started with about one a month, then it became one every week, then 2 or 3 times a week. This was many years ago and at that time there was no treatment for epilepsy for dogs. She was only unconscious for a short time but the fact they were coming so close together was scary. One day I even had a neighbor run over and knock on my door and said she said my dog flip in the air and got scared so I ran to the back yard and my girl was on the ground...just coming out of a seizure. She was completely normal except for the seizures.

Because they were coming so close together I asked my vet what the future would be. I was working everyday and she was by herself during the day. My vet said at the time that one time she would actually choke on her tongue and that is possibly the way she would die. I made the decision to put her to sleep. I didn't want to come home from work or even be there with her choking to death in front of me.

That's my experience with seizures. As I said, it was many years ago and maybe the vets feel differently now and there is medicine that was not available then. But my vet did not tell me that my baby would not die during a seizure.

I don't know if this helps you or not because it makes me feel that you certainly did everything you could to help your girl but I know what I went through ...there was nothing then that I could do to control or stop the seizures and the quickness they multiplied....something was happening.

I am so sorry about your baby. I really feel you did the best you could and so did your doctors. I hated to lose my girl so young too...really the same age as yours.

I hope you can locate the breeder. It seems like epilepsy must be genetic but I don't know.

Hugs, Heather......I know the helplessness of watching a seizure...and wanting to help so very much.

Judy

--------------------
LITTLE GUY - May 28, 1991 - Sept 10, 2007 - Always in my Heart.
His story: Section D&D: How do I stop crying? and also... My Boy is Gone Forever.

+Quote Post
michelles kitty
post Nov 7 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,258

fisrt and foremost my deepest sympathies on the loss of your furbaby,
i dont now how much help i'll be..but maybe i can shed some light on epilepsy for you.

i have a dog named coco. he is a shephard husky mix. beautiful doggie. big doggie...(144 at last weigh in)

he is now 10 yrs old and has lived with epilepsy since he was 3 1/2 yrs.

idiopathic epilepsy. generally~medically speaking it means there is no known cause for why he has it. none. not genetic, just no known cause as to why.

he had his first grand mal seizure at 3. freaked us all out. but i knew what was happening and we brought him in to the e.r. for pets where we live. they did every test imaginable and he came up healthy.
again no cause was found.

i am not sticking up for the breeder (cause i dont know the breeder and if it was a reliable one or not)
but i must say the breeder may not have even known that this pup would have had epilepsy or not.

i do agree contact the breeder, find out if it will ease your heart and mind about whether there is a history of epilepsy or not in the breed you had.

if they were aware and sold you a dog that had the genetic make up for it then i assume you will want to make others aware of this breeder. as to prevent other heartache for others.

coco had his first seaiure at 3, then ahd gone almost 4 yrs with out one all the while on meds(potassium bromide). he could not take other meds as they casue liver damage and he had hepatitis as a puppy. so those were out for him. and then he had a small one and some petite mals and focal seizures as well. but over long long stretches of time..his last being dec 19 2007 has not had another since and that was a tiny one. would have missed it if i hadnt been looking at him at the time.

some breeds have the genetic make up epilepsy, such as shephards, huskies to name a few...of course coc is both those breeds... but i hope i shed some light for you.

i think you didnt the right thing for your baby. iwas told by our very smart vet that everytime they cluster seizures for mor than an hr straight they lose a little brain function. she advised that if coco ever got to that part with his seizures and he had no neuro function it would be wise to end his suffering. and my husband and i are ok with that when and if the time ever came.

he is doing well and on a diet and has turned into a cranky old man being on the diet(hes always demanding more food than he can have..lol!!)

none of them bieng clustered. we are very lucky on that.

hope i have helped you some and again i am very sorry for your loss, your in my prayers.

--------------------

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Bubba
post Nov 8 2008, 12:18 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,959

God bless your beautiful baby,Caroline.............This forum will help you adjust to the gut-wrenching anguish you are going through.We all ache for you here at LS........Peace to you and your boyfriend..............
Bubba....................

+Quote Post
LoveThem
post Nov 8 2008, 08:39 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,876

You asked about other experiences with epilepsy. I also notice another one in this Forum Section, the topic starter name is Pogo Pdx and the title is about New to Group- Lost dog to epilepsy.

You might want to read that story also. The more you read..I believe you will really understand
that you truly did your best for Caroline.

It was her time. But she certainly was much too young. She and you deserved so much more time together but then that is the life is not fair...that happens time and again.

She is a beautiful Angel now...no seizures...only tail wagging while she watches over you.

Hugs..and peace..and healing are wishes for you.

Judy

--------------------
LITTLE GUY - May 28, 1991 - Sept 10, 2007 - Always in my Heart.
His story: Section D&D: How do I stop crying? and also... My Boy is Gone Forever.

+Quote Post
Timba's Mom
post Nov 9 2008, 08:45 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,228

Your poor baby. How very distressing for you. I had a lovely Golden Retriever who had unexplained seizures on occassion. I remember how frightened I was for him. He never recovered from his last seizure either...when it was over he couldn't walk anymore.

Caroline was very lucky to have you to take such good care of her. I am sorry her time with you was so relatively brief. I offer you my very best in contacting the breeder.

May God bless you and bring you comfort during this difficult time.

Allanna

+Quote Post
toddcj
post Nov 13 2008, 07:04 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,254

Hi There,

I apologize for the length of this post as I am new to this forum but have found it very helpful as I deal with the intense grief I have been feeling over the loss of my very young (2 years) Catahoula/Africanis cross "Dayo" of seizures on November 9. She was such an amazing friend, full of energy, love, compassion and fun until one day on August 28 she had a major grand mal seizure at our favourite park playing fetch. I was devastated, what a sight, little did I know that this was the beginning of the end for her as she continued to seize a few times this same week. We did take her to the vet after the first one and we had a blood panel done with no conclusive results. After her third seizure that week we put her on phenobarb and Kbr (small doses).

She did fine for a week and seized again and again a couple of times the next week. Not to worry I was told, this could happen as she got used to the drugs. I was told to avoid triggers - playing fetch, with other dogs, running or being off leash at all. This was very tough as she is a born runner - to see her in full stride was quite a sight and we would literally draw a crowd of onlookers interested in her breed and ability to run so fast. At exactly one month she clustered. She had roughly 20 seizures over the weekend. With no sleep and an emergency trip to the hospital we had her on the rectal valium and oral valium. This unfortunately did not work as the valium made her more hyper, banging all over the house, pacing, whining, etc. It was so painful to watch. It wasn't until we had to triple her dose of phenobarb that she was able to stop. My wife and I were so scared. This is when we realized this was going to be serious. Back to the vet, no more valium unless she clusters severely, triple her dose of Phenobarb and we will try to wean her off slowly.

Unfortunately this did not work. She continued to seize once or twice a week, mostly at night. The drugs had changed her, she no longer had energy, her tail was no longer curly and wagging, only down between her legs, head low, holding her up to go the washroom, guiding her from room to room, running every time she crashed to the floor. We were devastated and worried that she may have brain damage from the 20 seizures. She could no longer run. Walks were at a minimum. She would never lay down on the couch or bed with us for more than 5 minutes then she was pacing again. She wasn't even 2 and she acted like she was 12.

This culminated into a horror filled halloween weekend when our girl suffered from 40 (not exaggerating) seizures over the weekend. This cluster was serious as we administered from home more valium and more phenobarb. We had to take her back to the hospital and she just wouldn't stop. It was after a huge dose of valium and phenobarb that her whole body arched and she just collapsed. The nightmare was over and she was still alive. My wife and I didn't sleep the whole weekend. We took Dayo back and she was not the same. We started her on her fourth drug - Clorazepate and that was terrible. She couldn't keep it down and stopped eating. She couldn't sleep because once she started to rest she would seize. She would walk head first into the walls. She would fall down, tangle her skinny runners legs and not be able to get up. She had to go the washroom every four hours and her thirst was never ending. The final week of her life was so sad. After more blood tests, everything came back inconclusive, except her liver enzymes were low which mean't her liver was most likely being damaged from the major amount of drugs she was on. We were advised to see a neurologist in a larger city but this might not answer anything and it was very expensive. Believe me I would pay anything to cure her but after spending thousands already the gamble to spend thousands more was not feasible. We consulted a natural healer who came to our house and let us know that our dog was suffering and the best we could do was make her as comfortable as we could. This was tough because my wife and I both work and she was home alone during the week. The chances that she passed away alone in fear and pain were there and this is when we decided to see the vet one more time. It was on the 9th, after many seizures the past week when my wife and I both held her tight and in tears as she took her last breath. Our vet agreed, some dogs just don't take to the drugs and this was the best course of action. Her quality of life was so low and we couldn't imagine her dying alone while we were at work. This all happened over two months.

Dayo was an amazing friend. I am happy that we gave her the best life she could have, especially when she was destined to be here for only a short time. I miss her so much. To feel her cheek rub against mine one more time...to see her curly tail meet me at the door for her walks...to see her chase her chuck-it ball the length of a soccer field...to feel her cuddle up to me every night while I watch tv and go to bed. I feel like I lost a member of my family, I am new at these emotions and I can't believe the feelings I have gone through over the last couple of days. I have accepted what has happened but this feeling of emptiness is not going away...

Thanks for listening, sorry again for the long post. It was almost therapeutic to type everything out.

+Quote Post
giancarlo
post Nov 13 2011, 07:06 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 7,354

I know you posted this in 2006 and i am very sorry about your caroline, one of my boy's just died on oct. 22 2011 he had been having seizures for about a year and a half, we tried barbital but the dosages got so high (280 mg a day) that he was turning into a vegetable so we wheened him off barbital and started him on brohomohide he seemed to be responding well to it. then one month 17 seizures in 24 hours, but he bounced back. the next month only 4 seizures and very mild things seemed hopefull then 2 weeks later on oct 20th he had 10 seizures all mild he had one more on friday and seemed to be out of it. then sat. morn we went for our morn walk, came home had breakfast and gave him his usual treats, at 10:00am he came to me whining ( he would alway's do this when he wanted more treats) i just told him to go lay down, a minute later he went into a grand mal and never came out of it and died at 4:00 pm i gave him valium but the vet said there was nothing anyone could do for 6 hours i watched him shaking with his teeth cattering and at 4:00 pm he died. my world fell apart absolutely the worst day of my life, i would give anything just to have that moment back where he came to me whining just to hold him and tell him how much i loved him i just can't shake that guilt the pics are of both my boy's lucky is the darker one this pic was taken when they were 3 months old ohh how much i miss him.....
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
bluedianey
post Dec 28 2013, 01:38 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 8,186

[indent][/indent]
QUOTE (heatherj @ Nov 6 2008, 07:48 PM) *
My dog, Caroline died this past tuesday morning from having over 20 grand mal seizures in an hour then falling into an almost coma-like state that I thought she might come out of. She did not and died an hour later in mine and my boyfriend's arms.
Caroline was almost three years old and was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy a year and a half ago. She had been taking 4 phenobarbitol a day and I would give her a dose of valium if she had a cluster of seizures. She would always come around after a few hours or a day and be her happy, beautiful self. All of my vets told me that dogs don't die from seizures and that Caroline could easily live a long life with medication and love. I gave her more love than I have ever given anything and that was not enough.
I would like to talk with anyone who has had a dog die from epilepsy.
I need to connect with someone else to heal this pain.
I live in Portland, Oregon and bought Caroline from a blue heeler breeder in Eola Hills when she was 8 weeks old. Her birth date, with her litter is 12/17/05.
I want to find this breeder again and let them know about this tragedy.
If anyone has any information they can give me about where to locate these people, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi, So sorry to hear about Caroline. I realize you posted this awhile ago but I would like to chat with you about your experience. I have not lost a dog from seizures but Gizmo, my baby Rat Terrier/Pom mix started having seizures this year. Like you he presented "stiff" and could not move----just his eyeballs, I took him to vet and he was tested fir lymes and did test positive. He was treated and then he seemed to get better. Last summer he was just trotting along and then all four legs crumpled and he fell, then it was like strings were attached to his feet, the were pulled strait out like boards and he was pulled over on his back, legs straight in the air. A few seconds later he got up and trotted off. However about a week ago, I noticed he got clingy a coupld days before his next seizure, then on the day of it he first started barking and I took him out to go potty. I quickly realized he was totally blind, couldn't see anything. then he fell down, got up and fell 3 more times. I carried him inside and set him down ---he could barely walk to a rug to lay down and his head started dropping and he would lift it up then it would jerk/drop and hed lift it up. I picked him up to carry him to sofa and his body arched to the right, rigid as steel. I set him on sofa by me. He layed on his side, his eyes fixed in glazed stare ahead (right eye toally bloodshot) and he was comatose for almost 2 hours. He slowly came out of it, eyes moved and so on. I took him to vet next day and they acted like they didn't believe me. I am so frustrated and don't know what to do. Do you have any info at all for me/???? I am afraid too that he wont come back from the next one Gizmo is an amazing dog. [font="Tahoma"][/font]

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:39 AM