Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do I Get Another Pet....is It Way Too Soon?, HELP HELP HELP
GSgirl
post Aug 7 2006, 06:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 1,929

I need advice and help. I had 2 9 year old litter mate german shepards (1 male and 1 female). For the past year my female has been paralyzed in her back legs due to degenerative myelopathy. A little over one week ago we had to put her down because it was affecting her front legs and she was unable to get up most of the time. This was the most difficult decision...she was my baby. Personally, I went through 5 years of fertility to have a baby and do have a 5 year old daughter now and she is the only child I can have. My dogs are my children and were my support through so much. I am feeling so empty and my other dog is so sad. My whole family wants to get a new puppy. I am in no way trying to replace Rona....I never could.

I am getting some concern from the family saying it is too soon and I shouldnt do this. That we should concentrate on the dog we have. Yet I thought, getting a female puppy would help him. Please give me your insight on this issue.

Is it to soon? Should we wait? Do you think it would help him or not?

Thank you so much.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simba's Daddy
post Aug 7 2006, 01:35 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,899

Very sorry for your loss.

There is only one person that can tell you what is the right thing to do and that person is you. You should do what you feel is right. Some people like to wait, others like to get a new one right away. I got a new cat 2 days after I put my best buddy to sleep.

--------------------

+Quote Post
QuakerParrot
post Aug 10 2006, 11:02 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 490

No one can make this decision but you... no one. If YOU feel that it would help you or her brother, then do it! If YOU feel it may still be too soon, then WAIT! Somewhere on here, you'll find I went through the same thing in '05 after my sister offered to give me her Miniature Pinscher that she could not care for. Dexter had only been gone for about 9 months and I was afraid it was too soon. I got the same advice, to follow my heart. I did. I love Scrappy and I know now that it was the right thing to do, for me at least.

--------------------
Dexter, you will forever be in my heart. I've missed you everyday since you were taken from me on August 17th, 2004 but we will meet again.

God said: "What you do unto the least of Mine, so you have done unto Me."

Heaven is by favor; if it were by merit your dog would go in and you would stay out.  Of all the creatures ever made [man] is the most detestable.  Of the entire brood, he is the only one... that possesses malice.  He is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.  ~Mark Twain

Please, help Dr. Branson Ritchie fight PDD!! If you have even a dollar or two, or just some spare time to donate, go to The Stop PDD Website and help us end this killer! The bird you save might be your own!

+Quote Post
melmel325
post Sep 28 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,948

i'm like you in that i had fertility treatments for a couple of years; unfortunately, they didn't work and so i focused all my time and energy into spoiling my furbaby rotten - smoot was my "sonshine" and the absolute light of my life - he was with us for just over 14 years and we had to put him to sleep in july

well, now it is 2 1/2 months later and my husband and i are both jonesing for another (he was the only one we had) - i feel so terribly guilty over wanting another this soon and i know that i'm hoping it will mend the hole in our hearts - we have agreed to not get another one until we spread smoot's ashes, but we miss those wet noses and silky bodies pressing up against us and loving us and the pitter-patter of little toenails across the floor - i'm trying to think that there are others out there who need my love and that i may be missing out on another great child

only you can decide when the time is right for you - don't let other people make that decision or judgement about you - you have to do what's right for you

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:08 PM