Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What A Roller Coaster Ride!
Little Miss Audr...
post Jan 18 2010, 01:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 6,289

Hi, all,
I posted to the death & dying portion of this forum earlier this month, and again tonight. I thought I might explain a little about why it took me so long to get back to you kind folks.

We lost our dearest Audrey on Dec. 25th and couldn't stand the empty house. It didn't take me and my husband long to begin seeking a new cat, not to fill Audrey's spot but to make a new one. We searched online at rescue sites and finally settled on the Humane Society. We went with one cat in mind, and ended up with a different cat entirely. Her name is Missy Blue - the shelter named her that because she looks like a Russian Blue. We're pretty sure she's not pure Russian Blue, but she does have the eyes for it.

Well, we took her to her first vet's visit the next day and she had a high fever. Her spay site was badly infected under the sutures, and she had also acquired a respiratory infection from the shelter. The vet even asked us if we wanted to take her back and get another cat, considering the long road we would have ahead administering antibiotics, multiple vet visits, etc. We never considered it. We buy a defective pair of shoes, we take them back. There's no such thing as a "defective" cat, in our opinion. In the days that have followed we were at the vet every other day for subcutaneous fluids (she was not eating or drinking) and cleaning of the spay incision, which opened up. The vet finally said that he could do no more - that the Humane Society was our only option. We took Missy back there only after being reassured that they would return her to us once the second surgery was over. It was a long drive and a long overnight wait, but we took our still very ill cat home, 'again.' Her respiratory infection was so severe that we had to put her in a steamed-up bathroom to help her breathe, about three times a night. We'd wake to her heavy wheezing, and back to the bathroom we'd go.

We heard her first "meow" just five days ago, when we finally got her interested in a little canned food: she sounded like a squeaky door. Weeks with no sound except wheezing replaced by squeaky door - we were elated.

Our new companion, still named Missy, about 2 years old, looks like she's going to make it. I didn't think that having a new cat would help the grief for Audrey, but she has. Partly it's just her presence - she's not timid about affection - partly it's our triumph over odds with this beautiful cat. What a roller coaster ride this has been!

Thanks for reading!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sissycat
post Jan 18 2010, 01:23 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,783

Maybe it was just ment to be!!!!
Maybe you were the chosen one for this darling Missy Blue.
You know things do work in mysterious ways.

Hope to hear of continued good news in the days to come!!

Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
janika
post Jan 18 2010, 05:39 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,120

Little Miss Audrey, what a wonderful story, you have opened up your hearts and turned your grief into loving and caring for this dear Little Missy Blue. I do hope all goes well for you all. That is too much of a coincidence about the 'Miss' and the 'Missy' don't you think. I do believe Angels are working their Magic again here.

Thinking of you and your Angel Little Miss Audrey, and Missy Blue.

Love Jan and my Angels xx

+Quote Post
Little Miss Audr...
post Jan 19 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,289

Thank you, janika - I didn't see the connection between Miss and Missy before now!

Missy Blue is doing much better now. Her sutures are out and she's starting to show the personality we saw when we first met her. She is turning out to be a very charismatic cat, with amazing blue-green eyes that look right into our hearts. I still sort of panic for a moment when she sneezes, but she only sneezed once last night!

+Quote Post
madi
post Jan 19 2010, 12:26 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,207

I just love people like you Little miss Audrey , I had a Russian Blue once, a stray, lived for over 20yrs and he was a real gentleman, a beautiful cat. Hope you have many happy years with yours xx

madi xx

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:35 AM