Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vaccinations- Yes Or No?
Grateful Mama
post May 29 2009, 12:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 5,767

I know is this a very controversial subject so lets try to keep it civil. I am asking because I love and care for my furkids as well as my own son. For my human baby, I have decided to delay his vaccinations. I have done the research and this is my gut instinct. Plus, his half brother got a settlement from the vaccine manufacturer when he was diagnosed with Autism. I am not saying that I think Vaccines (or the MMR shot in particular) directly cause Autistm, but shooting babies up with so many things all at once is too much for their fragile immune systems to handle.

Siz week old puppies get a 5 in 1 shot, and then a 7 in one a few weeks later. I know shots hurt, of course they do, but they are SubQ, just under the skin, not in a vein or in a muscle, so it's not a horrible pain. Many of us have given our furbabies SubQ fluids several times a day! And with a much bigger needle I may add.

My worry is not the pain of the shot. I just think giving a 1lbs Yorkie puppy the same shot you would give a 15lbs Lab puppy (I have no idea how much larger breeds actually weigh, forgive me) doesn't make sense.

I plan on ordering my own vaccines from the vet supply company my breeder orders his from, but I want to do more research on what is truly necessary and when is best to give the shots, as well as hopefully finding individual shots instead of combos.

You can call me a hippy, but I breastfeed my baby and don't vax him yet and he's never been sick a day in his 1 and a half years.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
goliath
post May 29 2009, 09:11 PM
Post #2

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 4,239

After doing much research myself on vaccinating animals, I talked with my vet about my concerns. I also have small dogs. My vet concurs in that most vets overvaccinate animals. Her reccomendation is to vaccinate for the first year and to draw a titer thereafter each year. It's easier on the animal to have the combo shot when they are puppies. The less injections the better. Also, I homecook all organic foods and treats for both of my chihuahuas. Both are very happy and very healthy.

Talk with a vet who is up-to-date on the latest research regarding vaccinations and diet. I'm sure you want only the very best for your little ones. I was thrilled when I found a vet who was open for discussion and truly cared about the best interests of my little ones. My youngest, Browser, turned one this last February and has completed his first year of puppy shots. Next year I will only have a titer drawn. Gidget, my oldest, has only had a titer drawn for the past 2 years.

Good luck in making your decision with your puppy. Here's wishing you many healthy and happy years together! smile.gif

--------------------
Topics that include Goliath are:
Death of my Furry Baby Boy Chihuahua
Heartfelt Letter to my Goliath
Goliath and Gidget Pics
Happy Birthday Goliath
Goliath's Blessings
Bouncing Baby Browser (Goliath & Gidget's New Baby Brother)
Browser Is Missing!
Goliath Aloysius 1/25/1997 til 11/6/2007
My Gidgie Girl
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:16 PM