Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Utterly Devastated
antigone01
post Aug 17 2006, 12:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 1,960

My pet parakeet, Baby, accidentally got loose yesterday afternoon. I trusted another family member with his care at that particular hour and he got loose. He was so happy to be free for the first hour or two. He kept calling to me and bobbing his head in excitement, telling me he loved me and calling me baby as usual. But then other birds started picking on him, he became panicked and we lost sight of him for the night. I spent a long anguished night and today doing everything I could to recover him but to no avail. Yesterday I almost touched him. Early this morning, I heard him calling to me - like he does when he wants to be rescued or is fearful of something, but I could not find him and see him and now I can not hear him at all. I think he was trying to get to me, but got confused and went the wrong direction.

He is the one bright spot in my life now. Or was. I let myself love something again and he is lost. He is so very innocent and defenseless. All he knew was kisses, cuddling and being hand fed. He was very smart, but the sweetest most innocent bird. I fear he will starve to death soon. It is killing me - imagining hour upon hour that he is being abused by other birds, he is hungry and thirsty and scared. I know he is going to die alone, hungry and scared. It hurst so very much. I was supposed to protect him. He loved me and was always so loving. We cuddled every day, he loved to give kisses and tell me he loved me. What does he get in return for this? He gets to suffer an agonizing death.

I can't eat or sleep or do anything, because I know he is not eating or sleeping. I can't do anything but imagine what is happening to him. I have had many pets of all species, but he has truly - to my surprise, been the most beloved and cherished.

If I had lost him in some other way - such as giving him a new home or him dying of old age, or dying in my hand without suffering --- all of that I could come to bear. But his slow suffering and lonely death is going to haunt me forever.

I don't know how to deal with forever knowing that he died suffering, without me to hold him. I would rather die. I would rather suffer, than an innocent creature who knew nothing but to love.

I never knew a bird to be so special as he. So much more than just a bird. And now I can not feel anything but pain.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
antigone01
post Aug 18 2006, 01:05 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,960

Posted on the main board, Death & Dying. Reposted here:

UPDATE-

My baby was found last night and miraculously returned to me. It is so rare that a parakeet missing for days no less, is ever returned home. Larger parrots are more likely, but not tiny parakeets. Baby is very ill. I am trying to nurse him back to health and am trying to hope for the best. There is no vet/animal hospital anywhere around that will accept birds, except one - but it is not a hospital. I must wait until Weds to take him. He is trying to eat, so I am hoping for the best this time. Just knowing that he is safe and warm, no matter the outcome is so much easier to bear. I have lost beloved pets before and it is always so very hard, but they all died of old age or an accident and died with me caring for them. But - I am thinking positive, and hoping that Baby will be just fine.

Lisa, Furry's Mom, Pepe's daddy, Nyna22000 & 5catsmom:
I wanted to thank you all so very much, from the bottom of my heart. I will not forget your kindness and kind words.

I will come back from time to time and try and offer kindness and sympathy to others as you have done for me - and I will update on Baby's health when I know for sure if he is going to make it or not.

Thank you again.
Love,
Janine

+Quote Post
RIT & Cleo
post Aug 18 2006, 09:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,900

OMG - I just read your story about Baby...what a relief to have him come back...what an ordeal for you both. I will be sending positive thoughts for his health to improve.

--------------------
Cleo
Passed on 7/28/06
after 18 full years

Cleo's Story

Cleo's new little sister Ginger

+Quote Post
LittleGirl's...
post Aug 23 2006, 08:44 AM
Post #4

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 274

WOW!!! I just read your story and it brought tears to my eyes---tears of joy now that he was found! smile.gif PLEASE keep us updated. I will be praying!

Love,
Kathy

--------------------
Compassion for all animals. www.earthlings.com

+Quote Post
slbrock59
post Aug 26 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 25

Thank God your friend was returned to you. I'll say a prayer for his recovery.
Steve

--------------------
You left paw prints on our hearts.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:16 AM