Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advice If You're Looking, Don't overlook the obvious
cswitzer
post Jun 16 2005, 07:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 945

My beautiful black cat, Wally did not come home on Wednesday morning and I looked all over the neighborhood for him. He had been locked into garages in the past and I assumed...assumed...assumed he was locked in again. I rang bells, I left fliers, I whistled and called and nearly went crazy.

In the end I found him just over the fence in the next yard. If I had taken a moment to step on a tall planter and look, I would have seen him. I might have found him when he was still alive. I didn't find him until day 4. What a heartbreak!

He died from a fall, we think. But that does not matter now. I overlooked the obvious. I assumed if he was close he would respod to my calls. Look even the obvious places. You never know...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jane
post Jun 20 2005, 12:38 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 904

I am so sorry to hear about Wally. Our 7 month old cat disappeared 7 weeks ago and we have never found out what happened to him. We searched everywhere we could, asked neighbours. advertised, etc and I am haunted that he could have been injured and lying somewhere and we never found him. There is such a sense of panic those first days, knowing that one is racing against time.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. Before we were adopted by our kitten 6 months before, we had no idea how one could fall in love with a pet. It's heartbreaking to lose them.

Jane

+Quote Post
jmobrice
post Jun 28 2005, 02:34 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 980

I just lost my dog, Scooter, a German Shepard mix. He's 12 years old and had become very attached to me since his companion, our Irish Setter, died last June. Sunday, he seemed so unsettled. Everywhere I went, he was right there under my feet. I thought maybe he wanted to go outside, so I let him out. After a while I asked my husband if he had seen Scooter. We couldn't find him. I feel so guilty about letting him out and not checking on him sooner. We live in a wooded subdivision so he has plenty of places to hide. I don't think he's lost. We have looked for him, called for him, driven around the neighborhood looking for him. We called our veterinarian and let them know in cse someone found him. I'm distraught. I can't help but think of him out there somewhere, in pain or worse. How do I get past this? I can't stop crying. Right after we had to have our Irish Setter put to sleep last June, my brother died unexpectedly from a heart attack. I had closure with both the Irish Setter, and my brother to some extent. I don't know how to do that with Scooter since I don't know where he is. Has anyone had this experience? How did you get over it? Thanks for any help.

+Quote Post
jillybromley
post Sep 5 2005, 08:05 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 594

It is so true not to overlook the obvious.

When cats go missing they are so often found within 15-20 feet of their house or garden. Sounds crazy I know, but I have experienced this on more than two occasions.

For some reason they try a different route or get distracted by something and then can't find their way back. Or something they usually jump on to return home has been moved or a gate has been closed. Something really quite simple.

Always look very very close to home first. On one occasion my cat was in a box in my neighbours porch. It had lost its bearings after going through a hole in the fence into unfamiliar territory. I had searched a square mile of the surrounding area and it was hiding in a box in the porch within ten feet of my front door.

When they are frightened like this and disorientated, they don't seem to respond to calling like they would in the normal way. You have to physically lift things up and look under them and behind them. You can be within a few feet of them and calling and they will not respond. It is a very strange thing but this is definitely the case.

with love
jilly

--------------------
ELLIE, my beautiful precious baby. 1st Sept 2003 - 3rd Dec 2004.
Rest peacefully my little sweetheart.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:54 PM