IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question For People Whose Cats Have Gone Missing, How far had they gone?
gillian
post Sep 17 2008, 05:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 2,199

Darcey has been missing for 6 days. Two possible sightings of her have come up with nothing. And I'm wondering if it was Darcey, and not just some other tabby cat those people saw.

When your cat went missing, how far did he/she go?

I have no idea where to look now, cause the possible sightings of Darcey are in complete different directions, and I've searched and searched and couldn't find her ...

How much ground could a cat cover in 6 days? Any suggestions?

Also I am getting so many people who seem to think it'll be of comfort to me by saying 'aw well, some person has probably taken her in and is looking after her'. Can someone tell me how that is of any comfort to me? Noone has the damn right to steal my cat, take her into their house and keep her as their own!

Darcey is MY cat. I rescued her from death when she was 7 weeks old by the farmer who owned her mother, who gladly gave me Darcey, I've been raising her for the past 2 years, I pay pet insurance for her, she's registered with me under the local vet, and microchipped under my name, the collar around her neck was bought and placed on her by me, the nametag on the collar has my phone number on it; she's my cat, and noone has the right to steal her. If it had been one of my dogs that had gone missing, noone would say 'aw well sure there's probably someone looking after him'. They'd be telling me to phone the police etc if they thought someone did that. So why is it ok to say that about my cat?

--------------------
My Beloved Bono: This Void is Immeasurable
Born: 25th March 1998
Died: 16th October 2006

My Beautiful Darcey: Come Home to Me
Born: 11th August 2006
Disappeared: 11th September 2008

Bono's Webpage:

http://www.in-memory-of-pets.com/personalt...te.php?ID=62356

Bono's LS Post:

http://lightning-strike.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3317

The Rainbow Bridge:

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sissycat
post Sep 17 2008, 10:09 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,783

I don't really know how to answer your question, but I know we do live in a cruel world where people do not care about other peoples things. If they want it they just take it.
I know what you mean. People think oh its just a cat get another one. How dare they. Would they just replace their child? My cats are like my children to me. I do really have kids too.
I felt all those same things you are feeling. It is not fair.
I won't say aw maybe someone has her, but If it is true maybe they will see soon you are missing her. It took 2 weeks each time for someone to see my flyers.

Wish there was more I could do or say to help comfort you.

HUgs to you.

Hope, Hugs, and Prayers

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Sep 18 2008, 07:55 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,750

I don't know how far a cat would travel on its own, but keep in mind that if somebody did try to take her OR rescue her, a brief ride in a car could totally change your map. When I found Sable, my hope was to return her to her family. I live 20 miles from where I found her, so it wouldn't have made sense for me to just advertise locally. (I later learned through an animal communicator that she'd left a bad situation on her own, and had no wish to be reunited, so I felt better about keeping her.) Craiglist? Local newspaper? Vets? Humane Society?

I noticed you started speaking about her in past tense almost from the beginning. Of course you have to keep looking for her yet, but trust also that in your deepest heart of hearts, you know whether she's still here or not.

My heart goes out to you. After losing Twitchit last year, I really sympathize with the limbo of not knowing. It's just the worst feeling. I finally brought mine to an end with hiring an animal communicator, and then a canine tracking team.

Years ago my Cheddar was gone for three days (twice) and once my roommate's cat was gone for a week. She'd left on her honeymoon (the roommate, not the cat) for a week, and had apparently forgotten to tell Bobbie. When she got back, Bobbie slipped out the door, was gone for a week, then came home. "See?! I'll show you how THAT feels!"

There was a local story on the news last week about a cat that was returned home after 9 years. She'd been living nearby, got lost again, and this time was taken to a vet's who found the microchip and the original owner. Go figure. My support to you, Kim

--------------------
...You precious children, of four feet, whiskers, and mischief...

+Quote Post
gillian
post Sep 18 2008, 09:52 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,199

To be honest, I only noticed myself using the past tense to speak of Darcey yesterday for the first time, certainly not from the beginning. So I don't think it's fair to say that I've been using the past tense almost from the beginning because I certainly haven't been. But I admit that yesterday as I was writing a post, I noticed myself say 'was' instead of 'is', for the first time. I'm only doing that now occasionally because I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever see her again. At the beginning, I felt I'd likely find her within the first week. Because I haven't, I'm beginning to worry I won't find her. It's difficult to say 'is' now after a week, when she isn't here. But, as I say, I only noticed myself doing that from yesterday.

I feel she's still alive and is simply lost, but I don't know that. I don't believe in a 6th sense. I either know or I don't. I only hope she's alive and well, but I don't know that. And I won't until I find her. If I thought she was gone for good, I wouldn't be searching the streets till 1am every night looking for her. I'm doing everything I can, and I'm not giving up on her yet.

And yes, if you read my 'Where's My Darcey?' post, you'll see I've tried all that and more. No sign. And yes, I was the one who had made the post here over a week ago about the cat who was reunited with her owners after 9 years. It's ironic that my cat went missing only a day or two after I had made that post.

Thanks for the reply.

--------------------
My Beloved Bono: This Void is Immeasurable
Born: 25th March 1998
Died: 16th October 2006

My Beautiful Darcey: Come Home to Me
Born: 11th August 2006
Disappeared: 11th September 2008

Bono's Webpage:

http://www.in-memory-of-pets.com/personalt...te.php?ID=62356

Bono's LS Post:

http://lightning-strike.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3317

The Rainbow Bridge:

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

+Quote Post
ann
post Sep 22 2008, 01:02 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,838

QUOTE (gillian @ Sep 18 2008, 10:52 AM) *
To be honest, I only noticed myself using the past tense to speak of Darcey yesterday for the first time, certainly not from the beginning. So I don't think it's fair to say that I've been using the past tense almost from the beginning because I certainly haven't been. But I admit that yesterday as I was writing a post, I noticed myself say 'was' instead of 'is', for the first time. I'm only doing that now occasionally because I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever see her again. At the beginning, I felt I'd likely find her within the first week. Because I haven't, I'm beginning to worry I won't find her. It's difficult to say 'is' now after a week, when she isn't here. But, as I say, I only noticed myself doing that from yesterday.

I feel she's still alive and is simply lost, but I don't know that. I don't believe in a 6th sense. I either know or I don't. I only hope she's alive and well, but I don't know that. And I won't until I find her. If I thought she was gone for good, I wouldn't be searching the streets till 1am every night looking for her. I'm doing everything I can, and I'm not giving up on her yet.

And yes, if you read my 'Where's My Darcey?' post, you'll see I've tried all that and more. No sign. And yes, I was the one who had made the post here over a week ago about the cat who was reunited with her owners after 9 years. It's ironic that my cat went missing only a day or two after I had made that post.

Thanks for the reply.

I have heard so many stories thru the years how cats and dogs will travel many miles back to there home. How far do they go?? Good question. Who knows. After watcing my cats, there little noses takes them in all directions and they are so caught up in it. The first night Arthur was out he was trapped in the storage house next door. The second time he traveled quite a distance, yet still fairly close to the house. All the calling and banging on the bowl, and he was a no show. I went to the far back woods and yelled his name as loud as I could (without disturbing the peace) and I finally heard his meow. I think he just lost his way, however looking back he did seem to know where the house was fairly quickly. Old saying dogs come when you call, cats take a message and get back to you later. Funny story I'd like to share, a coworker had a cat that use to go off for days. On one occassion it was gone longer than usually. She went knocking on doors. When her next door neighbor answered she was shocked to find the cat on thier couch!..Woman said "oh she's here a lot". So she said" if you want her you can have her, I'll give you all here paperwork". That was that. It does go back to the orig owner from time to time for dinner. As for someone just taking a cat, hard to say, I bet their are a lot of people don't even think it belongs to anyone, or if a small child is invovled why break their heart, or they just don't want to be bothered posting anything anywhere, maybe can't be bothered with phone calls. Hang in thier. I'm glad to hear you haven't given up..My fingers are crossed.. Ann

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:04 AM