Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Our Sweet Ms. Lucy, Asthma & Diabetes
Muffins
post Nov 5 2004, 06:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 245

Hi Everyone:

I've come here, to all my friends, for some advice............
Even if you aren't familiar with asthma & diabetes in our very special "furkitties", that's okay.....
Ben and I just need some advice.......

We adopted two wonderful furkitties exactly one month after our sweet girl, Ernestine wub.gif , went to Rainbow's Bridge...
biggrin.gif

Ms. Lucy is approximately 7 years old.....
I am soooooooo happy that it was Ben and I who adopted this beautiful girl!!!!
We will always take care of her --- she's our daughter.......
Mr. Yoster.......he's approximately 8 years old....

And, "knock on wood", so far, so good with his health.
He does have reddened gums where his upper right canine is....
All of his other teeth are fine.
We will take him to our vet, so that he can be treated....

But, back to our sweet Ms. Juicy (as she is lovingly called, as well)......

Our veterinarian (whom we love), "thinks" that perhaps as a kitten, she did have chronic URI's, which led her to have
a very, very severe "URI/cold", about 2 & 1/2 months ago.
It was successfully treated with Clavamox........but, boy, I'll tell you.........she was sooooo uncomfortable.

Her asthma is pretty bad......
She can no longer take "Prednilisone" because that does increase any furkitties blood sugar.....
So, we went ahead and ordered an Aero-Kat device, for her Flovent inhalor.

(Kind of like a "spacer", that children use when they are too young to breath in an inhalor).

We have had "ZERO" LUCK WITH THAT, SO FAR........

But, what we are doing is keeping her "Aero-Kat" in sight......... To kind of de-sensitize her, to it.....
We just want her to become more comfortable with it.

As far as her diabetes goes, she is on 4 units of Humulin ultralente, every morning.....

I have heard it said, all to often that "SHE SHOULD BE ON INSULIN TWO TIMES/DAY".....
She is kind of "newly on treatment", and we are working with our vet CLOSELY, as to what is the best for our girl.
She goes to the vet once a week, either for a curve (blood glucose levels).........of for an AM & PM blood glucose.

We have an appointment on 11/8 with our vet, to discuss EVERYTHING......

It is just very, very difficult..........
I hate hearing her breathe loudly..............(she is NOT gasping for breath......She CAN BREATHE.....SHE'S A NOISY
BREATHER, and a snorer).
But, she does have DEFINITE WHEEZING!!

I know that if someone was placing such a mask on my face, I would think that they are trying to smother me.....
There's no question there... I'm sure that our sweet Lucy must feel that way..........(because she takes off in about
2 seconds!!!) sad.gif

I guess that I just needed to talk about our sweet girl's problem............
She is such a beautiful, beautiful girl.........
And, we love her and Mr. Yoster soooooooo very, very much. wub.gif

If anyone of you wonderful people can offer some advice, I would appreciate it very, very much........

I just needed to get all this worry off of my chest, and I KNOW that there is NO BETTER PLACE TO DO SO, THAN
WONDERFUL "LIGHTNING STRIKE"...............
biggrin.gif

God Bless you All...........My Friends.. wub.gif

Love, Denise, Ben & Mr. Yoster xo

This post has been edited by Muffins: Nov 6 2004, 04:42 AM

--------------------
Our Beloved Girl, Ernestine (AKA) "Ernie-Bird"
April, 1984 - February 7, 2004
***AFFA***
Forever, you will ALWAYS live on in our hearts!
DEPARTED FROM EARTH, NEVER FORGOTTEN.... Love, Mom & Dad xoxoxoxoxo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Immanuel Kant

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight" Albert Schweitzer
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muffins
post Nov 5 2004, 06:10 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 245

Here's a picture of Ms. Lucy and Mr. Yoster........

Love, Denise & Ben xoMy WebpageMy Webpage

--------------------
Our Beloved Girl, Ernestine (AKA) "Ernie-Bird"
April, 1984 - February 7, 2004
***AFFA***
Forever, you will ALWAYS live on in our hearts!
DEPARTED FROM EARTH, NEVER FORGOTTEN.... Love, Mom & Dad xoxoxoxoxo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Immanuel Kant

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight" Albert Schweitzer

+Quote Post
Ann H
post Nov 5 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #3

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 538

I am so sorry that you lost your sweet Ernestine and then to have the fear of losing another furbaby has to be so hard. I do not know anything about diabetes and asthma in furkitties but my sons little chihuahua has asthma. She is 10 years old and they have her on prednisone and the liquid albuterol. It is her only hope and the vet said if this does not work it would be kindest to put her to sleep. So far she has been on it for 2 weeks and most of the coughing and gasping for breath has stopped. She could not even walk, eat, or play with out her eyes buldging out. She also has congested heart failure so we don't know how much longer she will live. My son has had Bubby since he was 19 and she was 10 weeks old. He said if this treatment did not work then to just let her go because he loves her to much to see her suffer. Now if I can find that kind of strength to help my Snookie go to the Rainbow Bridge when her time comes.... Well I don't know if this helped very much but my heart is with you.
Ann, Snookies Mama

--------------------

My girls went to the Rainbow Bridge 6 weeks and 3 days apart.
Snookie had cushing's disease, and later developed diabetes. Both had cancer, Snookie had cancer of the liver, and Chili Bean had cancer of the pallet. Chili Bean was our son's chihuahua but we kept her often throughout her life and she stayed with us for the last 9 months of her life. Chili Bean also had asthma and heart failure. We will see you in Heaven my precious darlings.

Snookie Lynn Howard
2-04-94 - 12-26-04

Senorita Chili Bean Bubbles Howard
11-05-94 - 11-11-04

+Quote Post
LittleGirl's...
post Nov 5 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 274

Denise,

I've been thinking about you and your family. First I have to express, as I have many times before, how lucky sweet Ms. Lucy is to have been adopted by you and Ben.

I like your desensitizing idea, of keeping the Aero-Kat in sight. Would it be possible to give her a small dose of tranquilizer, like Acepromazine, about an hour before? Or would that interfere with her treatment? If it would be medically ok to give her some, I would think it would take away her anxiety. Then after a few times she might get used to it enough to not feel as though she's in danger when you put the mask on her.

Does she have a favorite scent that you could put on the Aero-Kat? Can she have a special treat before and afterwards?

I'm sending prayers. Keep us updated!!!

--------------------
Compassion for all animals. www.earthlings.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:09 PM