Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Roxy
wchamilton
post Jul 29 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 3,255

When Winston died we told ourselves we weren't going to actively look for another dog right away, but would take our time with our feelings and when the time was right we would find the right dog to complete our home.

Well, today, it seems we found that dog. Meet Roxy:

Roxy is a four-month old Doberman/Hound mix. My wife had just been randomly looking at dogs on petfinder.com when she came upon this little girl and she said that Roxy spoke to her like Winston did. We filled out the adoption application today and I've already spoken to the woman who runs the rescue agency and told her how recently we lost Winston, which she's okay with.

I'm awfully excited but at the same time I kind of feel like I'm cheating Winston's memory. He's only been gone for four days and here we are looking to bring another dog into hour home. Winston was a one-of-a-kind dog that filled our house with so much spirit and life; we can never replace him but we can absolutely take another dog into our home and give her all of the love that we have.

My wife and I talked about this in great detail... we're not trying to replace Winston, because we know we'll never be able to, and we don't think we're rushing into this. In fact, I think the prospect of another dog has done alot to help us with our grief. We felt the same tugging at the heartstrings with Roxy that we felt with Winston and we firmly think we're ready for another companion.

I'll keep everyone informed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Flossie's Mom
post Jul 29 2010, 09:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,211

Well, my first thought was that what a wonderful tribute to Winston this really is. He was such a wonderful guy, that when this one reached out because she needed you he must have given his approval for her to have grabbed your heartstrings.

I told my husband once that if anything ever happened to him, I would not get married again. His comment was, "why not, that doesn't say much for our marriage if you would not want to be married again".

So maybe it is the same for our pets, it wouldn't say much for Winston if you never wanted another dog. Obviously Winston was a special doggie and had a hand in sending you another special one. Many here have unexpectedly "found" a pet soon after a loss so I truly believe the ones we lost have something to do with it.

She is a real beauty, your Roxy. Congratulations to everyone.

Ginger

+Quote Post
wchamilton
post Jul 30 2010, 06:52 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Flossie's Mom @ Jul 29 2010, 10:11 PM) *
Well, my first thought was that what a wonderful tribute to Winston this really is. He was such a wonderful guy, that when this one reached out because she needed you he must have given his approval for her to have grabbed your heartstrings.

I told my husband once that if anything ever happened to him, I would not get married again. His comment was, "why not, that doesn't say much for our marriage if you would not want to be married again".

So maybe it is the same for our pets, it wouldn't say much for Winston if you never wanted another dog. Obviously Winston was a special doggie and had a hand in sending you another special one. Many here have unexpectedly "found" a pet soon after a loss so I truly believe the ones we lost have something to do with it.

She is a real beauty, your Roxy. Congratulations to everyone.

Ginger

I was thinking about that this morning... over the course of my adult life I've traumatically lost three other animals. We had two cats that were inside/outside cats that went outside one day and we never saw them again. I also had a cat that I had to have put to sleep in 2007 when she went into liver failure.

Both times I had new cats fairly quickly. When we lost the two (Sheba and Tiger; Sheba was Tiger's mother and Sheba actually delivered Tiger in my lap while I was asleep on the couch) we went to the local cat rescue group and adopted three cats several days later. And when we had Opal put to sleep we got Angel and Nala a week or so later when someone I worked with found them in a box on the side of the road, along with a couple of other kittens. They were so tiny we had to feed them kitten formula from an eyedropper. I swear, people absolutely nauseate me.

+Quote Post
Flossie's Mom
post Jul 30 2010, 08:51 AM
Post #4

Both of our current pets were not "planned" and our 17-1/2 year old Poodle was still with us when they entered our lives. Flossie did not like other dogs but accepted WeeBee without a lot of drama.... they even laid together in the car & camper & sometimes on the dog bed.

So I firmly believe this dog was somehow sent our way for a reason. She picked us out not the other way around since she was a stray. Or at least we think she was as no one ever came looking for her and since she came into heat with dogs following the poor thing we decided if she did belong to someone they didn't deserve her. Like you, people disgust me!

Since we travel some now I sure didn't want a cat.... well this guy is no problem to travel with (except of course the litter box hassle). He rides loose in the car & seems to enjoy it. Whenever I open the travel trailer door here at home, he jumps right in & makes himself at home like "oh boy, going camping!"
A beautiful Siamese mix cat born under an outbuilding to a black & white Mom with no Siamese in sight. Closest neighbor about 1 mile away. Go figure!

In NC (used to live there) on craigslist someone found a small dog on the side of the road IN A PET CARRIER!!! Lots & lots of abuse & abandonded pets down there. I called animal control twice on a neighbor & would sneak down to give water to their dog as the dish they had out for him had a big hole that allowed the water to just run right out. Took him food also. He was always so glad to see me & never barked at me even in the dark.

Keep us up on how it goes with Roxy...........

+Quote Post
wchamilton
post Jul 30 2010, 09:00 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Flossie's Mom @ Jul 30 2010, 09:51 AM) *
Both of our current pets were not "planned" and our 17-1/2 year old Poodle was still with us when they entered our lives. Flossie did not like other dogs but accepted WeeBee without a lot of drama.... they even laid together in the car & camper & sometimes on the dog bed.

So I firmly believe this dog was somehow sent our way for a reason. She picked us out not the other way around since she was a stray. Or at least we think she was as no one ever came looking for her and since she came into heat with dogs following the poor thing we decided if she did belong to someone they didn't deserve her. Like you, people disgust me!

Since we travel some now I sure didn't want a cat.... well this guy is no problem to travel with (except of course the litter box hassle). He rides loose in the car & seems to enjoy it. Whenever I open the travel trailer door here at home, he jumps right in & makes himself at home like "oh boy, going camping!"
A beautiful Siamese mix cat born under an outbuilding to a black & white Mom with no Siamese in sight. Closest neighbor about 1 mile away. Go figure!

In NC (used to live there) on craigslist someone found a small dog on the side of the road IN A PET CARRIER!!! Lots & lots of abuse & abandonded pets down there. I called animal control twice on a neighbor & would sneak down to give water to their dog as the dish they had out for him had a big hole that allowed the water to just run right out. Took him food also. He was always so glad to see me & never barked at me even in the dark.

Keep us up on how it goes with Roxy...........

My neighbor has four dogs (that I know of)... a Rottweiler, a Dachshund/Golden Retriever, a Chihuahua/Dachshund and a pure breed Huskie. The only dog I've ever seen them do anything with is the Huskie. The Rottweiler and Dachshund/Golden are chained to their houses next the garage. I've been outside before and seen the kids playing in the yard or the above-ground pool with the Huskie while the Rottweiler and Dachshund/Golden just bark at them.

It's heartbreaking to me... if you're not willing to spend the time and energy to truly integrate a dog into your family you shouldn't have a dog. Our dogs are inside all the time. They sleep with us at night. They're members of our family and to see someone neglect animals like they do infuriates me. I've several times thought of calling Animal Control but I live in a small, rural town and the Dog Warden is very aware of the situation and apparently doesn't care.

+Quote Post
wchamilton
post Aug 3 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #6

Well, no Roxy for us. sad.gif

The rescue group called and said while her foster mother was on vacation in Europe she missed Roxy so much that she decided to keep her.

Which is good... I was excited to bring her home but she's been with this foster mother for almost three months, so she knows her and won't be uprooted.

+Quote Post
Cheryl83
post Aug 3 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,508

Sorry to hear that. But I'm sure another pooch will win their way into your hearts soon smile.gif

--------------------
It broke our hearts to lose you, but you didn't go alone,
For parts of us went with you ... the day God called you home

My beautiful Angel, Daisy - I will love and miss you forever xx

+Quote Post
wchamilton
post Aug 3 2010, 05:52 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Cheryl83 @ Aug 3 2010, 05:30 PM) *
Sorry to hear that. But I'm sure another pooch will win their way into your hearts soon smile.gif

We already have a few hopefuls in mind, but this time I won't post about him/her until he/she is here. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Flossie's Mom
post Aug 4 2010, 09:06 AM
Post #9

Good for Roxy but while it seems bad for you now, there must be a reason Roxy is staying where she is. There is another one that must be the right one for you just waiting to be part of your family. Disappointing I'm sure but with so many dogs needing good homes I know he/she will be with you soon.

+Quote Post
Brutus
post Aug 5 2010, 07:52 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,235

I'm sorry it didn't work out...I'm sure a puppy will come along soon that needs you. Hugs.

--------------------
****Sonya****

In loving memory of my soulmate, Brutus...never forgotten, always missed.

Brutus Midnight Gunsmoke
Black Lab and best friend
11-22-96 to 11-16-09

+Quote Post
wchamilton
post Aug 6 2010, 07:39 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Brutus @ Aug 5 2010, 08:52 AM) *
I'm sorry it didn't work out...I'm sure a puppy will come along soon that needs you. Hugs.

Thank you... at least we weren't told no because we were deemed unfit. Her foster-mom just decided to keep her, which is good for Roxy.

We're still looking, but not as actively. My wife wants to devote her time to Miya and Takoda; this weekend I'm installing an invisible fence and we have to train them on the fence, which will take some energy. I don't know if an invisible fence would have helped Winston, but I'm not taking the chance with my girls.

+Quote Post
Diamond-Bear
post Aug 6 2010, 11:35 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 6,627

I am sorry things did not work out with Roxy; it is good that she will have a loving home. This just means your family will be able to love and save some other little lonely puppy.

Good luck with the invisible fence.

--------------------
Diamond
04/17/98 - 08/02/10
Soxie
04/18/98 - 04/21/12
You left paw prints on my heart!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:25 AM