Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Our New Baby Dori
My heart Cooper
post Jun 15 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 6,506

A month ago today, I lost my little doggie soulmate, Cooper. Cooper was only five and was killed by a mistake made by our vet. He was the little love of my life. We also have another dog, Rudy, who is 10. After losing Coop, we worried that something would happen to Rudy too, from being too depressed. So we rushed into rescuing a new dog. As soon as we brought her home, I knew it was wrong. She didn't feel as though she belonged. But we couldn't take her back to the shelter. Thankfully, my sister-in-law took her in and little JoJo couldn't be happier. Last week, we decided a puppy would be best for us and Rudy especially. So we found our little girl Dori. She's only 5 weeks so we won't have her for another month, which is nice as it gives us more time to grieve and mentally prepare for the addition of another dog. We are so excited for her. But it seems strange to think that I will be able to feel all the joy of a new baby, while feeling so much pain for the loss of Cooper. I know I will never love another like Coop, but I know I will love Dori. I already do. How do people make it through this time when there is so much joy and grief at the same time?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MissingHolly
post Jun 18 2010, 12:08 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,532

While I was grieving for Holly an old man came up to me and asked why I was crying. I immediately connected an aged man with experience with death and I blurted out, desperate and unthinking: "How do you deal with death?" Then I proceeded to apologize and go back to crying. He stopped and leaned in close and told me "It's almost funny you asked me that question. I just lost my wife not two months ago. But you know, I've lost many people. My wife was my best friend for fifty years and I was never once without her. Losing her was hard, but here's the secret: forget that you miss her." I looked at him, sure I'd heard wrong and he nodded at me: "Forget that you miss her. Don't think about missing her." I thought he was insane. How could I not miss my best friend? My baby? My little girl? The light of my life and the only friend I had who hadn't left me or hurt me in the sixteen years I knew her? I voiced my concern and he laughed and said: "When you forget that you miss her, you'll only be able to remember her. Forget how she died and why she died and you'll forget all the bad things. Remember all the good times you had with her. Remember her as she wanted you to remember her. She doesn't want you to be sad, she wants you to be happy."

You know what? It's true. I know she died, but I won't remember her as being dead. I won't remember her as being sickly. I'll remember her as the happy, precious little warm bundle of light in my life. I'll miss her, sure, it's not as easy as he made it seem, but I'll remember all the good things about her.

So my words to help you through your difficult time: Don't think about what you'll miss, remember what you love. Trust me. It helps.

--------------------
Holly
October 1993 - June 11, 2010 1:30PM

+Quote Post
Flossie's Mom
post Jun 18 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,211

Thank you for posting this..... it is quite appropriate for any of us.

Our nephew just lost his wife still in her 40's after a long, long battle with cancer & I plan to tell him the words of this old man when he brings her home for her service. He grew up on this land where my husband's family has been since the 1940's and the two of them lived here for several years after they were married.

Great thoughts to ponder.... not easy to do I know but very, very wise words. Thanks again....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:31 PM